Today has been a very quiet, contemplative day. I felt it as soon as I woke up this morning. It was silent and dark and I just didn't move for a while as a flood of memories filled my mind. Today is Spencer's first birthday. And yes, I am
so happy and excited, but mostly I'm grateful. We're having his actual party on Saturday, so today I get to be still and remember.

Everything changed for us a year ago. Yes, we had another baby and that is a
huge change, but it was much bigger than we ever thought it would or could be. It was more than the fact that our family dynamic changed as we went from a family of five to a family of six. Our whole way of thinking, and even feeling, changed. Profound and inexpressible gratitude and even awe and reverence have very often replaced feelings of fear and uncertainty since Spencer was born. I don't know how we ever lived without him. When he was born, he brought the peace and perspective we thought we already had, but he magnified it and refined it with his sweet and gentle spirit. And, of course, the things that happened to me after he was born magnified those feelings even more, but it started with Spencer. His birth and the miracle of having a new baby prepared us for what was to come.



Here's little Spence in his bili blanket at home. He was (and is) an angel baby.

Sweet little guy! (About 5 months old)

Spencer has been the best sleeper ever! He goes to bed at 6:00, sleeps until 7 or 7:30 and takes naps at 9 and 1. I rock him in the chair with his pacifier and blankey and sing to him then put him in his bed and he watches me leave then falls asleep. Did I mention he's an angel?

Spencer is the fastest crawler in the West! Oh sure, he
can walk, but where's the fun in that? Oh, I'm sure he'll discover that walking is fun too, but for now- He. Is. Speed. My favorite views are #1- his little bum crawling away from me when I chase him as he peeks over his shoulder to see how close I am and then squeals, and #2- his adorable face coming at me at full speed, and not slowing down until he smashes into my face with one of his big, slobbery kisses. He is
always happy and smiling, even when he's tired and has two more hours of church until he can get a nap. :) He makes us all laugh all day. He loves to make his way through the whole house and explore all day long. He just figured out how to turn around at the top of the stairs, so he pretty much has complete access to the whole house.
Here's Spencer from this morning when he woke up. I love to record them waking up on their birthday, especially when they're babies. In this video, you get a little taste of his new talent- his scrunchy face. It's hilarious! Also, you get to see where Ben shaved his head. Lovely.
We love our Spencer SO much! He has brought so much joy to our home.
Happy Birthday!!!
3 comments:
CUTE video...cute baby! He looks so much like Cari and Jenn's kids!!!
He is seriously such a cute little guy! All your boys are cuties though.
I can't beleive that was a year ago! Time flies!! What a year you have had - I hope this year is a little more calm.
Post a Comment