Sometimes this year feels like it was unbelievably long, and other times it feels like it was impossibly short. It feels long when I remember what it was like in the few months after I came home, how weak I was and how I never really felt normal. I remember sitting on the couch with my Mom while she folded clothes one night, a few weeks after I came home. I had folded one shirt and my arms had literally collapsed at my sides and I couldn't hold my head up. Just then, Gary got home from the store, carrying two gallons of milk in each hand. I was speechless as I realized I had been able to do that just a few weeks before, and I was sure I would never have that kind of strength again.
A few nights later, I decided I would make dinner- which consisted of putting a dinner I had made and frozen before Spencer was even born and putting it into the oven. That night, I was back in in the E.R. with a racing heartbeat and difficulty breathing. Everything was fine, but I was warned I shouldn't try to do "so much." :)
It has been a short year to me when I remember how many wonderful and miraculous things I have been blessed to witness and to realize that they all happened in only one year. Since I can barely express my gratitude that I am here in words, I thought I would just share with you (and with me) just some of the precious moments that I have been here for this year. (The explanations start out. . . not short, but then get much shorter, don't worry.)
My sweet, amazing sister, Jenn, took this picture of me getting to hold Spencer for the first time in three days. I am in the ICU here and technically wasn't allowed to hold him, but my nurse pulled some strings because she knew I needed him. I am wearing a mask because they still weren't sure if my illness was contagious. At this time, the doctors still were not sure if I would live. This is one of the most precious moments of my life. I go into more detail in my actual journal, but I can say that holding Spencer at this time was as special to me as holding him for the first time. Thank you, Jenn, for taking this picture.
This is Spencer and me, finally in the same place after ten long days. The exhaustion, mental and physical, I felt at this time was beyond anything I had ever, and may ever, feel again- or I hope. :) When Gary took me to Jenn's, I sat on her couch and collapsed in her lap and sobbed. Everything felt like a dream- what I had experienced while at the hospital and what I was still experiencing at that time.
This is a picture of my Grandma and me on Spencer's blessing day. I was completely exhausted and she is making me go upstairs to take a nap. The amazing thing is that my Grandpa had passed away the day before and she was still taking care of me. She is a tower of strength and unshakable faith.There are a few words that have been with me throughout this year. They include; gratitude, reverence, awe, even confusion- the kind of confusion I feel when I am blessed with something I don't feel worthy of, and it's beyond my comprehension. But there is one word that stirs something in me that encompasses all of the others, and that is remember. I don't mean dwell on it and refuse to move on and live my life, but if I don't remember this great blessing and the gratitude and all the other feelings, then I'll. . . forget. That sounds very simple and obvious, but to forget would be unthinkable for me. So, thank you for letting me share with you my gratitude I feel so that I can continue to remember and try to live my life in a way that reflects that remembrance.
6 comments:
That was absolutely beautiful. So glad that things turned around for you last year!
Oh wow, that post is amazing! I have no words, just tears and I can't see what I'm typing.
You are amazing! You inspire me to TRY to be half the woman, wife, mother that you are. They say "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger." I think you are every super hero rolled into one. Thanks for sharing your story and your gratitude. Love and Hugs!
Wow, what a great post!! I am so glad that my very first roomie in college is still around to be the most amazing person that she is. I love you Jess!!! You really are an inspiration to me!!
Great post, and I'm so honored to be included! It was a miracle that you were able to be my bridesmaid and I'm glad for the reminder that miracles do happen. I'm so grateful as well!
It was fun to see the last year of your life flash before my eyes. :)
I really need a tissue! You are amazing Jess :)
Post a Comment