Anyway, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by your teasing, I haven't been able to blog as much as I'd like, which means I blog even less because I just don't know where to begin. In times like this, I like to take advice from Julie Andrews. I'm just gonna go ahead and start at the very beginning- a very good place to start! (By the way, this isn't exactly the beginning, but these are the pictures I have available to me, so I think Maria would be proud.)
Anyway, I decided that for this session of General Conference, I would be "Miss CreativeSpazz" and plan and prepare in every way I could think of so that the kids would stay happy and occupied while we all listened quietly and that they would learn so much that they could be called as the Gospel Doctrine teachers by the end of the last session on Sunday. Is that too much to ask!?
By the way, I will always think that conference starts at 9:00 a.m. because that's when it starts in CA. On Saturday, I slept in a little bit and was hurrying to get ready and get everybody breakfast and dressed and ready before 9:00, only to realize- again- that I have another hour!!
So, in conclusion, don't do the tent idea unless your kids can handle it. As soon as that first fight over who sits closest to the zipper breaks out, you'll ask yourself, "WHY?!?!?!?! Why do I try!?!?!?!" Yeah, but we'll still probably try it again next time and I promise, the exact thing will happen again. We're silly that way.
We had this poster by the t.v. and marked off when one of these amazing men spoke. This is the last thing that survived the weekend and it is still up. I know, I know, I can hardly believe it myself.
Anyway, Saturday was nuts. I asked myself, "WHY!?!" a lot, but I'm okay now. Sunday was much better- no tent to ruin my life and destroy my peace- I think that was the key. I even took a note or two.
I love General Conference. I really don't mind that the boys argued over the tent and their activity packets got destroyed and Junior Mints got smashed into the couch. I know I did all I could to show them that Conference is important. Whenever the Prophet spoke, everyone sat down and calmed down and listened, and that's all that mattered. If I hadn't done anything else, if all they learned was that when the prophet speaks- you listen, then they learned all I would want them to know. And they do know that, so I'm happy.
(And, people will probably think I'm a crazy-spazz-nut-dork, but I really miss not watching conference at home. My first conference in Utah, I got all dressed up and headed to my nearest Stake Center, on a Saturday, and it was locked! Weird. Weird.)
1 comment:
So I know that you wrote this forever ago, but I haven't been doing much blog reading lately (mostly because it makes me feel VERY guilty) and was catching up on your family news and thought, as I looked at the tent for Conference, "what a great idea - we'll have to do that too" only to continue reading the results of the tent and realize that the exact same thing would happen with our kids!
Post a Comment