I decided to have a little fun and take pictures of my journey to deliciousness. I got this recipe from
Everyday Food. It's one of those magazines I'm not sure how I get every month, but I love it- and I get it free, so I don't ask questions. Here's one of my favorite recipes:
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar,
divided1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 thick slices challah, brioche, or other egg bread (1 inch thick)- I just use a loaf of French bread, because what the heck are those breads? One day I'll fancy it up, I guess. :)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 bag (10 to 12 ounces) frozen raspberries- or any berry you want- we did blueberry this time. Um. . . delicious!!!
1. In a 9x13-inch baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk,
1/4 cup of sugar, vanilla, and salt.

Here's my Vanna White impression. Gary got me actual, real, genuine knives for our 8th Anniversary. I
love to cut things, including my fingers, apparently!
2. Arrange bread in dish in a single layer; let soak 15 minutes. Turn bread over; cover, and refrigerate until most of the liquid is absorbed, at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with butter. With a spatula,
carefully transfer soaked bread to sheet. Bake until French toast is set in the center and lightly browned on the bottom, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine raspberries and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, mashing lightly with a fork.

Here's the milk-free, egg-free version, for allergy people. Ryan prefers to have a hunk o' bread with blueberries and dairy-free whipped cream on top. He was in heaven, so I was glad. (He wanted to use some of Spencer's bibs, in case you're wondering what kind of crazy shirt he's wearing.)
5. Remove French toast from baking sheet with a thin metal spatula; serve with raspberry sauce and, if desired, sausage- but I'm a bacon girl- so, if desired, bacon. :)
I double the recipe and use two pans to soak the bread in. They're so yummy as leftovers, hot or cold, with or without anything on them. I only make this on Christmas morning and General Conference weekend, because it's probably not the
least fat-free thing ever. :)
2 comments:
Yum! That looks so good! I might even use regular old normal bread if I ever make it though. Mmmm, bacon...
Hey, since I have a blog now, I bet when I write this comment this time, it will stick:)
I love your blog. Dad and I will have to try that receipe. It looks amazing!
Love you Jess:)
Post a Comment