Now, all this cookie dough and actual cookie goodness was experienced with semi-sweet chocolate chips. I never thought anything about it, and you may be surprised, I didn't even know that milk chocolate chips even existed. That all changed circa 2000. One day, when we were dating, Gary and I made cookies. The chocolate chips were sprawled out on the counter, flowing out of the bag, as they usually are while one is making cookies for some reason. I grabbed a chip, popped it in my mouth and was shocked to taste . . . milk chocolate!
My first reaction? "Hey! This tastes like I'm eating a little piece of chocolate!" I love to state the obvious, especially when it surprises me. Gary laughed and probably thought, "Why am I dating such a weirdo?" Oh well, he continued to date me so he can think I'm as weird as he wants, since I am just as weird as he thinks I am. :) From that day on, I was a milk chocolate chip believer!
Anyway, we have a certain cute little boy who is deathly allergic to milk, among other things. In our years of figuring out how to feed this child, I came across the pleasant and rare discovery of something yummy that actually didn't contain milk- my old friends from the days of yore- semi-sweet chocolate chips!!!
Anyway, I have recently rediscovered that semi-sweet chocolate chips are just as delicious as milk chocolate chips in their own understated, simply simple way. No pretenses. No mumbo jumbo. There is nothing semi about their sweetness, yet they are not too sweet. I know, I know. I just implied that something can be too sweet. All over the country, as different family members and friends read this who know about my incredible ability to consume unbelievable amounts of sugar, are gasping. Over the next few days, if you hear a loud gasp echoing through the air, it's probably one of those people experiencing the shock of my new grown-up discovery. It may even be you! But, I'll just say that every time I take a bite of these semi-sweet goodies, I am taking a little taste of my childhood, with a sprinkle of heaven mixed in.
4 comments:
...And I agree 100% on the cookies! I am a chocoholic, love milk chocolate, but I still use the good old semisweet in my cookies. Yummy!
Oh, those were the good old days. Gary and I making cookies on a Sunday afternoon to distribute to at least 3 ladies (each). Good thing you were one of them - or were you? I'm sure Gary remembers. Or at least he is smart enough to "remember" making some for you then. But then again, he is honest. Ooohh. I can't wait to hear how this one plays out.
Yeah, I can't wait either. Can we invite you? It might be better to have YOU as the punching bag.:) But really, Gary "remembers" very well who his favorite girl was to give cookies to. Or, maybe it just depends on who's askin'. And, you are both invited on any Sunday to make cookies for your two favorite girls! I don't think Diahan will object. I am, of course, assuming those girls are us.
I also had no idea that real chocolate chips existed and have lately been tempted to return to my childhood...perhaps we are growing up and our tastes are "maturing"...
Post a Comment