Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Part of your world


"Sisters! Sisters! There were never such devoted sisters!" Sing along with me! I prefer the Bing Crosby/Danny Kaye version of this song, but you can choose whichever one you want, as long as you really are singing! If you have no idea what I am talking about, go watch White Christmas, pronto! I don't care if it's October. We watch Bob Wallace and Phil Davis dance and sing around here year-round! (My nephew even calls them Brother Davis and Brother Wallace.)

I am devoted to each of my precious sisters. I love them to pieces. Oh sure, they'd get mad, as in they would kill me, if I borrowed a shirt without asking. But what was I supposed to do? No one ever wanted to borrow my clothes, including me, so I really had no other choice! We weren't always excited about "caring, sharing every little thing that we are wearing." I resorted to writing poems to ask to borrow an article of clothing, which would help soften them up. Then, they would write a poem back, giving me permission to wear said article. I have kept those poems and they are pretty much the cutest things ever.

Besides the clothes issues, we gals were always very close and the very best of friends. Oh yeah, except Kristine and I. For a while, if she was in a room, I would leave it. And, if I was in a room, she would leave it. We'd complain to our friends about each other and roll our eyes at each other across the gym at Stake dances. In contrast, when we were younger, we'd blast The Little Mermaid soundtrack in our room and sing "Part of Your World" with as much passion as our nine- and seven- year-old voices could convey. Prince Eric is hot. Unfortunately, for some reason or another (maybe I borrowed a shirt without asking or writing a poem), our relationship deteriorated. We no longer wanted to be a part of each other's worlds.

After years of tension and strife, and our parents begging us to get along, we found ourselves driving to the first day of seminary in September, 1996. It was 5:50 am. Luckily, we were sharing one of those rare moments of civility as we passionately (as in the days of yore) sang 'The Star-Spangled Banner." Suddenly a big ol' white truck turned left in front of us and we were in a terrible crash. As soon as we got back down on all four wheels and "Red Ned Nissan" - our Pathfinder- came to a stop, my first frantic thoughts were about Kris and if she was OK. And, ironically, her first thoughts were about me.

I'll leave the rest of that story for another time, but suffice it to say, that was a turning point in our relationship. We were inseparable after that. We recovered at home together for a month, got behind in school together, went to physical therapy together, argued with lawyers together, and have experienced the fun and always unpredictable pain that is associated with car accidents.

At Stake Dances, we'd laugh and dance. We spent hours memorizing dance routines from Swing Kids and then perfectly perform them at dances. The massive crowds would form circles around us with awe written all over their faces. They'd think, "I wish my sister and I were that close." Then, Kris and I would laugh in our knowing, silly way as if to say, "If they only knew," and continue spinning and twirling, kicking and jumping. And, of course, we were then surrounded by many young men begging us to dance. (sort of :)

For the rest of my high school experience, Kris was there for me. She'd listen to me cry and stress about boys and she'd give me rational, sound advice, uncharacteristic of a fifteen-year-old. We worked together at Baskin Robbins where we had the unfortunate experience of working with individuals who would go smoke in the freezer at our busiest times, and Kris and I would be left to feverishly scoop and blend, blend and scoop. We lived together in Utah when she moved out here, where our silly singing and dancing continued. Her singing and dancing skills have become much less silly and she is absolutely amazing at both. We've been through a lot together and we have become so close it amazes us, and our parents, as you can imagine! As the song says:

All kinds of weather, we stick together, the same in the rain or sun. Ooo!
Two different faces, but in tight places, we think and we act as one. Uh huh.

No picture of the Salt Lake Temple is complete without a crane in the background, I've decided.

So, Kris and I had the totally amazing opportunity of going to the Relief Society Broadcast on Saturday. We had a great talk on the way up, and she, once again, inspired me in so many ways. She is one amazing gal!! She knows how to triumph, let me tell you!
I have consigned myself to the fact that no picture with me in it will ever be satisfactory. Oh well, just look at Kris and know that I am not excited to post these pictures, except to show that we had such great time. :) The Conference Center takes my breath away every time I see it. The talks were so amazing. I left armed and ready to face the world and raise my children and fight against the evils that surround us and know that, as Elder Uchtdorf said, "Happiness is our heritage." He was so great! He would have all us ladies laughing so hard one minute, and in the next, he would say something so profound and perfect the whole room would be absolutely still. It was one of my favorite talks ever.

After the conference, Kiff and I talked and hung out then went to Wendy's because we were, ya know, hungry. On the drive home, Kris made me laugh till I cried and I choked on my Frosty while she did her "monologue" entitled, "Lord of the Bling." She makes it up as she goes along and it is an incredible mixture of hilarity and genius. I'll talk about that some other time. :)

We got to my house safely in spite of my crazy driving due to hysterical laughter, and we played the piano and sang until Gary got home with the boys, and Kris helped us put them to bed. I don't think she minded rocking lil' Spence to sleep. :) It was such an inspiring, uplifting, fun-filled night. Thanks for the the ticket and ab workout from all the laughter, Kris. I love being part of your world! Or lorvskuchore yoreshk!

2 comments:

Hizzeather said...

You look great in all the pictures crazy! My favorite is the one of you two sitting by the fountain...you are both so beautiful!

Love you!

"Miss Kris" said...

Heather is abosolutally right! Wowzers! Thank you! I love that you are part of my world, too, Jorsore! Shore(uh)! You and I both stinkin' rinkin' know the bazillion reasons why!