Saturday, June 26, 2010

My "Strings"

A few months ago, I was sitting on the couch and talking to my sister, Cari. I had to get up for something and as I tried to stand, I gasped and tears flew to my eyes and I collapsed back down. Cari cried out in alarm, "Is it your strings?!?"

Then I started laughing so hard because it was, indeed, my "strings." I have taken to calling them that because it's a lot easier, and let's face it, cuter, than calling them my "pelvic adhesions."

After I was sick a couple years ago, my organs all decided to grow together and then proceed to adhere to my abdominal wall- in no particular order. My organs had all been infected by the Group A Strep blood infection and they became all inflamed 'n stuff, so to protect themselves, they decided to grow these "lesions/adhesions." My organs are waay overprotective.

So, about a year ago I had the things cut, which was an adventure. Apparently my body is not the biggest fan of anesthesia. Whatever. Well, what I didn't know was that, though the same adhesions that were cut do not in aaall actuality grow back, new little jerks can grow back in their place.

So, I'm here again, getting ready for surgery. I don't know why I'm telling you all about this. Maybe it's 'cause Gary's working and it's a really boring Saturday morning and I cleaned a lot yesterday and I don't feel like starting up again. It's not that I like to have surgical procedures once a year, not like that at all. I would even go so far as to say it's the opposite of that, but the pain these strings cause is SOOO not cool. I do have very good days, and this week has actually been almost totally pain-free. (Which made me not want to have surgery at all, but I know if I do that, the pain will be back on Monday and I'll have to wait another month. That has been my dilemma this week.)

While I have had some good days, the bad days are bad. I can't exercise, which makes me feel, I don't know, not healthy. I know, crazy. I can't bring laundry up and down the stairs. I can't go to the store. I can't play outside with the kids. I almost missed my favorite great aunt's funeral a few weeks ago because I was almost paralyzed by the stabbing pulling. I can't stand long enough to do the dishes or make real dinners. I can't pick up Spencer. I don't mean to complain. I think I'm still trying to justify to myself the need for surgery by actually writing all this crap down. One good thing, though, was one day I couldn't get off the couch, (as in, I tried to get up and tears flew out of my eyes and I gasped and scared all the kids) and luckily Gary was home and I read the whole last "Harry Potter book" that day. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named still gives me nightmares, in which he is usually eating French Onion Sun Chips. Anyway, we were supposed to go to CA that weekend, but the pain was so bad I couldn't pack. Maybe some other time, I guess.

Now, I don't want you to think I lie around, crying and in pain all the time. I pretty much do everything I need to do everyday, I just still don't know what triggers the pain and when it comes...oooh nelly!!

So, if you need me for anything at 6:15 on Mondee morn', I will be busy. But, just leave a message and I get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you. I will give a full-ish report as soon as anesthetically possible. I'm already excited about the title to that blog post. It's gonna knock your pelvic adhesions off!

5 comments:

Hizzeather said...

You just can't get enough of doctor's and hospitals, huh? :)

My poor babe-uh! We'll be praying that all goes well and that you will be pain free and that the darn things don't come back!

ps...I got your message...I was at our YW Beach overnighter, and all yesterday I was recovering from said overnighter. Let's just say that karma is really getting me back for all the stuff we did in YW! :)

Jessi said...

Oooh! I can't wait to hear the stories. Just tell me no one was accidentally mooned!

Paula said...

You'll be in my prayers! :)

Jessi said...

Thank you, Paula! You're the sweetest!

Shelley said...

So, updates? Don't you have anything better to do than blog all day and inform people of you private medical life? No, great!

We hope you're feeling better. I would have loved to hang with the kids while you slept! Next time....