Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sometimes you wanna go...

Where everybody knows your name
(dum dum-dum dum)
And they're always glad you came. . .

Yes. I recently had a "Cheers" moment. My dear, dear Olivia got married and my sister, Jenn, and I got to go to her open house in Salt Lake. I took two of my little guys with me so Gary could do some homework. It's good I brought them because they were my link to reality. Well, that, and also I've grown out my bangs since high school. :) Besides those two things, I would have felt like I was 16. But, being. . . older than 16 didn't change the fact that I look up to these people SO much! I don't know what my life would have been like without them then, or what it would be like without them now and the totally great memories I have of each of them.
Here's me and my beautiful Amber. Yeah, she's married, but she's mine! I don't know how many hours upon hours, into the wee (and not so wee) hours of the morning we have talked and laughed and cried since we were, oh, ten. We walked to the park, had sleepovers, got ready at my house for stake dances then danced the night away almost every Saturday. She was right next to me when I rode my very first roller coaster and laughed at me because I wouldn't open my eyes. We went camping with her family and watched movies with mine. I cried when I heard her voice for the first time a few years ago after we'd found each other again, and it was like no time had passed. I love that!! I can still call her anytime and catch up. She's the best!!

Amber, Me, and Jenn

Me, Olivia, and Amber

Olivia has the sweetest giggle-laugh in the world. She taught me how to play poker (with M&M's). We swam at her house and jumped on her trampoline. The great thing about Olivia is she was my only gal pal who I could fight with. And when I say fight, I don't mean sulk and not talk to each other over some boy or I took the wrong exit (right, Heather?! :)). I mean, we would tackle each other and. . . punch each other until Amber and Andrea Neipp would break it up. Then, we'd be fine and continue with our card game or whatever. I love that! She is one of the most strong-willed, but sweetest, funniest people I've ever known. The Rubalcavas threw me my surprise 14th birthday party. I love this family.

My senior year without these girls was, um, crappy. It stinks having a December birthday because all your church friends are a year older than you. And my Heather was at another high school. I recently skimmed through my journal and I saw that I wrote all through my junior year. I wrote only once during my senior year and it was something about my junior year. So, in conclusion, life was lonely without these gals and I really missed my great "old" friends. Ha Ha!!

Roman, Jenn, Melanie

Some of the old Palmdale 5th Ward gang.
Jenn, Me, Roman, Melanie, Olivia, Amber, Tricia
We felt very special while we took this picture because there were about five people with cameras surrounding us. C'mon, I need my space!! Being famous is so hard!

Ben loves Melanie. You actually can't help but love Melanie, so he fit right in. He saw this picture and said, "That's that girl. She got me a drink!" Then he just looked at the picture and smiled. I was very proud of myself for dressing Ben so that he matched the wedding party (on accident.) He became a little prop and we had to get a picture of him with Melanie so we could show how well he belonged.

I saw my very first "Smart Car" as we were leaving. Jenn did a little sexy/casual pose by it. She held Spencer to keep it decent (and to keep him from running in the street.) As a general rule, I opt out of anything where I am expected to look sexy. I usually just look like a weird animal, and not like a cheetah or something. I'm more like a dead fish or a crab.

It was a great day. It was so amazing to see people I grew up with and still love to pieces. It was incredible to see the dad of my best friend from 4th grade walk around and hold my baby's hand. I love things like that! I grew up with the best group of people in the world, and I hope they continue to "grow up" with me!! In other words, don't graduate and leave me all alone!!

5 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Olivia got married! I miss her...she looks really good! What a fun reunion! I am way jealous!

Jenn said...

I love this post. I read it a while ago and loved it then, but thought I'd tell you now. :) I was just visiting to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Since I'm all caught up I read your little quotes on the right side...HILARIOUS!!!!!! Oh man, I really am laughing out loud! Soooo cute!

"Miss Kris" said...

Ya trying to make me cry? Shoowu! And what's with this lame senior year talk? I was there, wasn't I? Shoowu... ;)

Jessi said...

Aw, sorry Kiff! Of course you were there, and before and after school and weekends, and holidays were great. But we didn't have the same lunch and you were, like, in band all the time. :) Shoowu.

Mom said...

Jessi,
I can't believe how many people from P-5 are in Utah. I found your site through my Jen's and so on and so on. Tell your family "Hi" from me. I miss your Mom and Dad. I am a Grandma of twin girls now. You can go to jenandstevemarx.blogspot.com to see Jen's baby's.
Yeah!Olivia. I miss the Rubacalva's too!
Kathy Crosier. Sorry it say's Mom, but I don't know how to change it.