Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tradition! Tradition!

OK, so Tevye never celebrated Christmas (for obvious (Jewish) reasons), but I'm sure he'd love this tradition. . .

While I was growing up, our family made and delivered Christmas Braids. My mom made them, and her mom made them, and heck! I bet her mom did too! Now I make them. Oh sure, I've toyed around with different treats to give to neighbors- cookies, fudge, candy- but I always go back to the classic braid. Yeah, they take about 4-5 hours per batch, but I really love it. They're so pretty and yummy (hopefully) and they just remind me of home. I turn on the Christmas music and let the smell of cinnamon and freshly baked bread fill the house. I can still hear my Mom quietly singing along to the Carpenter's in my mind. There's nothing better!

Delivering the braids isn't as treacherous these days. Sure, we have snow and ice to deal with (unlike delivering in Southern CA), but I get to sit in the nice, toasty car while the kids do all the delivering- just like Mom used to do. :) Also, our kids aren't teenagers yet, who get chased down and tackled by their friends like what used to happen to us. Ah, those Wilsons! So much fun!

Now, over the years many people have asked how we make these little braids of deliciousness. I've always had the "I'd-tell-you-but-then-I'd-have-to-kill-you" attitude. But, now, in my old age, I feel the desire to share the joy.I broke down and finally bought a thermometer this year. I was pleased to discover that my "OK, it's simmering a little around the edges and the butter is almost melted" of years' past really was 120 degrees! Awesome!


My mixer really gets a "beating" at Christmas! Get it!! The not funnest part is scraping the dough out of the thing with a toothpick!

Ryan is a great kneader. Don't worry- he washed his hands!

I love punching down the dough!

So, you roll out the dough to an oval-shape. Cover it with butter, then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top, then cut it into three strips.

Then you braid. I figure, since it's very possible that we never have a girl, this is all the braiding I will experience. :)

Look how cure they are. They just take a little nap and rise some more before they get baked. Cute little babies.

They cool, and then you frost them. Time is of the essence. I don't know how many times I frosted these babies only to find out I'd taken too long and the sprinkles just had nothing to cling to! The cherries are optional but they add a pretty splash of color, don't you think?

Our labor of love is finished! And we really do make them because we absolutely love the people we give them to to itty bitty pieces. But, for our dear friends who are too far away, who we still love, we want to give you a little "taste" and let you know that we're thinking of you!

Merry Christmas!!

4 comments:

Matt and Mandy said...

Wow, you guys are good, and VERY dedicated to your traditions! Impressive! I haven't even gotten Christmas cards to the mailbox, let alone done my neighbor gifts yet! Way to go! Don't worry, I won't spread your recipe too far, I do value my life ;)

Hizzeather said...

I'm so jealous!!! I want some! Yummy! :)

Jenn said...

I love that blog entry! SOOOOO cute! I wish I could just sit in the corner of your kitchen and watch and SMELL and dip my finger into everything and lick it before going onto the next bowl of...what IS this? Oh frosting.

Paula said...

Ughhhhh what about the one you are stalking? Sounds yummy! :)