Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

My Grandma wanted all the grandkids to act out the Nativity on Christmas Eve. My sister, Jenn, made every single costume- including the ingenious beards that we will never go without again! They were so perfect and added years of wisdom to all the little boys' (and grown-up girls') faces. They were so cute and hilarious! I was in charge of the script. Putting that together was one of my favorite parts of this Christmas. I sat there for a few hours on Christmas Eve (day) at the table with my scriptures, hymnbook, ensign, laptop, and "The Living Christ." I had my Christmas music on in the background and it was so amazing. I just sat there, writing it out and getting so teary I couldn't see what I was writing, especially when "Angels From the Realms of Glory" was on. I just had to wait until that song was over to get anything done. I need to write one every year.

Here's everyone getting everyone ready. Ben managed to knock over the same plant- twice- in this process.

Cute little babies! My niece, Stephanie and her brother, Alex, were the cutest Mary and Joseph ever! I loved that "The Baby Jesus" was one of the dolls I always played with when we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house when I was little.

The audience (before it started). :)

Gary holding Spencer, who is anxiously awaiting his acting debut when he would throw a "stone" at Samuel the Lamanite, who we affectionately call "The Brother of Jared the Lamanite". (Sorry, Jenn, we'll never let it go.) Anyway, Spencer's just young enough that it wouldn't start any bad habits. :) Don't worry, it can't hit him anyway.

My cousin, Dalton, awesomely filled in as Samuel when we found out my nephew, Brandon, broke his leg earlier that day sledding. You can't climb up high on a city wall with a broken leg, now can you?!


Who says shepherds can't be angels? We were very lenient. :)

Cute little shepherds.

Ryan- in about 30 years.

As we got all the kids ready, we looked around and realized we only had one wise man. Well, this was unacceptable. We recruited my 22-year-old sister, Cari, to play a second wise man. It was very wise of her to comply, against her will, I might add. She's behaving herself quite well in this picture. :)

Oh, come, let us adore him.

The Cast

Cari never did approve of her role as a wise man, but it was pretty hilarious. She towered over all the little kids. When she came out to play her part, no one even recognized her- her own family! Classic!

Um, I don't know if I would accept anything from this wise man. There's something a little sinister, and even feminine about this one. I don't care how much myrrh he has! (By the way, that portrait in the background is my Mom when she was about 18. Beautiful!)

Well, this was my favorite part of Christmas Eve. We sang carols throughout the nativity and the Spirit was so strong, even with the laughter and silliness. Everyone had such a great time and it was so great to focus on the birth of our Savior and remember why this time of year is so special.

2 comments:

lindsey v said...

Cute costumes! And how did you make those beards? Looks like a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Heather S. said...

It looks like your family has so much fun when they get together! Your production was much more put-together than ours was. We used to cast live infants as the baby Jesus when we had ones young enough. Then we moved onto dolls. Would you believe we don't even have any of those around anymore? We had to use Wyatt's Build-a-Bear in a make-shift manger (magazine rack). I was afraid some people would find that sacrilegious, so I have held off on the posting of pictures.