Tuesday, October 14, 2008

7 Wandom and Reird Facts :)

I have been tagged by Heather.1. When I was seven years old, I was burned with boiling water from my neck to my knees. I had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns. After receiving a blessing from my Dad, I got to stay up and watch "Cheers" with my Mom. I woke up the next morning with 2 inch high blisters. Later, at the hospital, it took three people to hold me down while the doctor pulled off the dead skin. I missed a month of school, walking around the house hunched over while my skin healed, and going through whirlpool therapy (which I thought was "world pool therapy" and the pool would be huge and above ground and I could swim around like a mermaid, but it was just a jetted tub. Bummer). My mom had to change my dressings every night to avoid infection. I can still smell the cream. I came back to school for a class party and I wore a bathrobe because my skin was still raw, but I just COULDN'T miss a party! I guess I haven't changed much in TWENTY-ONE years. I have healed with no scars.

2. I went to four proms:
Sophomore Year- I went with a great friend who had asked me to go to Prom the week I turned 16 (in December) because he was worried someone else would ask me before Prom (in May). How sweet is that? Yeah, no one else asked me- a nerdy sophomore- to go, but him. He was definitely safe. He was my swing partner at dances, but for some reason, they didn't play much swing music at our Prom. Go figure. :) We had a good time, except it was held in an old airplane hangar. Romantic? Ummm. . .
Junior Year- The sound of the waves, the moon shining on the ocean, the salty breeze, my first hand-holding, the breathing in of helium out of the balloons and quoting movies. Romantic? Uh, yeah!
Senior Year- I went to another high school's prom with "a friend." He got really mad at me the second he saw me when he picked me because he said, and I quote, "Your dress is too modest." Gee, sorry to disappoint. Later, he wanted me to dance all nasty with him. Yeah, I passed on that golden opportunity. So, he left me for a girl who gladly nasty-danced with him and I drank punch and watched the clock. Then, he had the gall to try to kiss me good-night. Instead, I gave him a cold, "sisterly" hug and said, "Thanks." Never saw him again. It stunk because he was really cute and his name was Ben and I always wanted to marry someone named Ben so our song could be "B-B-B-Benny and The Jess." Also, because I liked the idea of having "The" in front of my name, like it's a title or something. Awesome! Oh well. :) Dodged that bullet.
Senior Year- my prom. After a luh-hot of high school pre-prom drama, I went with one of my best friends ever. We laughed, we ate, we talked. Fun night! Before we both left for college, he named a star after me (he became an astrophysicist, so it was very fitting). Great guy.

3. Gary was my first kiss. I would like to say I was his, buuut . . . I would also like to say after me he didn't kiss anyone else, buuut . . . :) Anyway, we had dated for two months, then after I got over my fear of kissing someone and then having them move on. . . smooch! I was smitten! Future post alert!

4. I've had my ears pierced twice. In the same spot! My ears rebel against being pierced and they always close up. It's sad because I love earrings and I wore them all the time, until I just couldn't stand re-piercing them every time. If I went a day without wearing earrings, say good-bye to the holes. Tragic. It's so unfair that guys these days get to look prettier than I do. There's something very wrong about that. I've even tried to find non "eccentric old lady" clip-on earrings. They don't exist. I want to try to pierce my ears again someday. Wish me luck!

5. I love to play the piano and sing at the top of my lungs when no one is around. That's much more rare these days than it used to be. It was always very therapeutic for me. I just freak out when anyone is around and fear grips my vocal chords and I sound . . . not good. I need to get over that fear and belt it out like I used to. I miss it.

6. My favorite actor ever is Jimmy Stewart- on and off the screen.

7. When I was born, my parents named me Laura. My Dad went home from the hospital to announce the joyous news of my blessed arrival and to tell the other kids what they named me. The more he heard them say Laura, he thought, "Nope. This isn't it." He drove back to the hospital and they renamed me Jessilyn. Personally, I'm glad. :)

So, there you have it. The next 7 victims are:

Diahan S.
Jennifer C.
Kristine S.
Carolyn S.
Shelley S.
Heather S.
Janette B.

4 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Laura? Weird!!!! :)

And I never knew you were burned as a child! Crazy!

One of my favorite Dana Carvey moments is when he impersonates Jimmy Stewart and recites "The Little Trout." lol...CLASSIC! :)

Heather S. said...

Sweet-I love putting things on my to-do list that I've actually already done just so that I can cross them off. I actually completed this "tag" back in August, before I had invited many people to my blog because there wasn't a heckuva whole lot there yet.

Yours was very fun and informative. I would be honored to call you The Jess from now on.

Stacy said...

Hey, Soph has the sensitive ear thing going on and we finally had to find her non old lady clip on earrings, Claire’s baby. The problem there though is that they are almost too grown up looking, not in an old lady way though.

Fun to get to know you better Jessi!

Diana said...

Dear Laura....I learned so many new facts about you! Love the..wait...i loved every single one! Didn't know about the burn...or about Gary...or about your earings!! But I could have guessed about the belting on top of the piano part...I can see it now!! Question...am I the first person on the list or is that someone else?? It says..and i quote...."Diahan S." hahaha... :)