Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Powell of all Lakes

Welcome to our post of Lake Powell. We had a blast. Here are some of my favorite pictures.

This is the roof of the houseboat where we hung out, ate, laid out, slept, watched movies, and launched illegal fireworks. :) We watched "Batman Begins" on a projector one night. Awesome! This was a particularly appropriate movie to watch as bats flew all around us. It helped me embrace my fear. :) It helped that they were very polite bats. Bruce Wayne, you're my hero.

You can see the slide in the background that we slid off into the lake. It was just the perfect height. We also played Slide Football where someone would wait in the water and throw the slider a ball and they would have to hold onto it as they landed in the water. Gary, Ed, Rob, and Jenn were the stars. Yes, Jenn. And she always pointed her toes, of course. Good form.

As wimpy as I was at first, I slept on the roof. It really was so great. We could only stand having one sheet over us, which I just ended up putting over my ears to block out the sound of bats' wings fluttering overhead. It was great to have our alarm clock be the blazing hot sun roasting my back at the crack of dawn. Ah, Powell.


Gary actually ate fish. It was delicious!
He likes it! Hey Mikey!



We even found some time to play some "golf."
My Grandpa passed away the week I got home from the hospital. It has been very hard for my sweet little Grandma, and she almost didn't come on this trip. We were all so glad she decided to come! She is the game queen!



Ed and I just had to make time to jam on the back of the houseboat. We sounded pretty much incredible. Here we go, in the style of Israel: and a 1 and a 2
Some day I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far be-e-hind. . .me-e-e
Oh where troubles melt like lemon drops high above the chi-mi-ney top
That's where you'll f-i-i-ind me. . .


Dip Dip Dip
Dippety Dippety Dip
This was a very fun game. Gary excelled.



This was "seriously" fun. (I didn't know Gary took this picture.)
You better believe I have STAR POWER!!



Here are Gary and Ed being a little too crazy for my liking. Hmm. Somehow, I didn't know Gary was going to do this until he was doing it! Very naughty, but very fun! At least it wasn't the 80-footer Gary jumped off of in his more youthful, crazy days.



Here's my version of naughtiness.



Gary and I got to wake board and wake surf for the first time. Here's Gary wake boarding. He did so great!



Yes. You can say I'm absolutely magnificent.



Oh, I mean, I was magnificent.



Here is my Uncle Rich showing us how to wake surf. This was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. He was inches away from the back of the boat, riding the wake, with no rope.



Here's Gary doing very handsomely, in more ways than one. :) You know you're surfing and not wake boarding when there's slack in your rope, like that. I did surf, but chose not to include those pictures for your own sake. . .and mine. You can thank me later, or now, whatever. Gary might make me put them on here, though.

Anyway, this was a great vacation. Gary and I had so much fun, and the kids did great, so we never worried. I think we only called them a couple times, and once we realized they were fine, it was just Gary and me, which is rare these days. We got to do new, fun things and relax. Once I get them, I'll have to post pictures from the craziest, coolest, most beautiful hike I've ever been on. We had to swim to it in choppy water and we couldn't take our cameras, so the people from the boat took pictures for us. Amazing. I heart Lake Powell.

3 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Wow! I'm way jealous!

Gary said...

According to my precise measurements (from the picture on my computer screen) the cliff Jess calls, "naughty," is only 20 feet. Nothing will compare to the 80 footer; I'll probably never do that one again! Now an airplane at 10,400 feet is another story. Sorry... I'm bragging.

P.S. - Only I get to see my HOT wife in those pictures. :)

Diahan said...

Now that's a vacation.