I love the beach and I've missed it so much since moving to Utah. I love the roar of the waves that make all other sounds around you kind of dull and muted. I love digging my feet in the sand and being attacked by seagulls. I love catching sand crabs and feeling them dig into my hands and between my fingers. I love going far out in the water, past where the waves break, and riding the little (and big) swells. And, of course, the beach is not complete for me unless I eat some sandy Oreos. Ah, nothing better! Growing up, we'd usually eat sandy, warm PB&J sandwiches, but lately, with my parents being grandparents now, those sandy warm sandwiches have become sandy, cold Lunchables. Grandkids are so spoiled!
This day at the beach was FREEZING! The boys didn't mind, of course, and they went right in the 5 degree water- Fahrenheit! I took the role of protective mother and watched everyone from the "warmth" of the blanket, making sure no one drowned or drifted too far. Now I know what my Mom was doing on all those trips to the beach!
Here's Andrew, waiting for that perfect wave.
Gotta build sandcastles that keep getting knocked over by the waves- just when you think you're far enough in.
This is what we get for letting the kids feed the seagulls. Look at that one on the left attacking the Lunchables box. He was psycho! The big one on the right was the leader of the ferocious, fearless gang. The quote that kept going through my mind was, "Feed the birds and what have you got? Fat birds!"
Ben spent almost the whole day chasing the birds and doing his hilarious laugh when he's having so much fun.
It was about 60 degrees at the beach, but we were there for over four hours, miraculously. And, somehow when we left the beach I was whiter than when we got there. :) And though we didn't catch any crabs, nor did I put one toenail into that water, we did get attacked by crazed birds on too much sugar and we did feast upon sandy Oreos, Double Stuft no less- spoiled! I think it's safe to say that this day at the beach was a success!
3 comments:
I am sooooo jealous. Absolutely positively, hands down, the beach is my very favorite place. I even love it when it is cold. Shame on you for not going in the water!! How many chances do you think you are going to get?!
You're absolutely right, I totally should have gone in. But my parents aren't moving for a while, so I'm goooooooood!
You're so funny, Jess, and when I say 'funny' here, I really mean WEIRD. :) How can you love all those things at the beach (swimming in huge waves, catching CRABS and have them dig into your fingers, birds ATTACKING), yet you are completely out-of-your-mind terrified of moths. LOL, weirdo!
Post a Comment