Friday, June 20, 2008

A day at work

This is a picture from work, but not from today.
Also, Gary wasn't driving. His boss was! :)


While I decompress let me tell you about my (Gary) day today. I assure you that Jessi's day was no less busy but today was insane for me. I'll just give you a time line.
4:50 am - Spencer's hungry cry wakes me up (Jess is already getting the bottle - she is amazing)
5: alarm - get out of bed
5:20 - wake up
6: - Out the door (half hour late)
6:30 - At work in Provo, getting equipment ready and loaded in truck for the day
7:30 - finally ready to go after switched trucks when I pointed out that registration expired
8:15 I-80 reconstruction project in Salt Lake (just now realized I forgot to put back that key). Figure out what is going on (Ryan showed me around yesterday, alone today)! Do inclinometers.
- This was fun. I drop a probe on the end of a 1/4 inch diameter cable (heavy) 80 feet down a pipe and pull it up two feet at a time (take readings every 2 feet). Twice in every hole, three holes (now I do look like a viking:)
12: - Drive to Legacy Highway project in Ogden.
12:30 - Read settlement plate (easy) and do another inclinometer (get out the cable:). By the way, each hole takes a half hour.
1:30 Drive to Layton to test densities (compaction of ground). Scheduled for 1:00
2: - Determine density of ground using nuclear gage. I have to make sure the soil beneath the future bank is properly compacted.
3: - Drive to Roosevelt (3 hour drive from Layton); need to be there by 4:30 at the latest.
6: Get to job in Roosevelt... Nobody there. Call inspector who scheduled tests. His response, "Were you scheduled for today?"
6:30 Take density tests.
7:30 Drive to Provo (2 1/2 hour drive)
10: Get to Provo. Put things away. Finish up all paper work (copies). Get truck ready for next day (concrete tests at 7: am in Draper)
11: pm - Drive home
12: am - Decompress
1:00 am - Set alarm for 5:00

(17 hours of work, 450 miles - used 15 gallons of gas, cost the company $60 in gas)
Hours worked so far this week: 50 (One more day to go unless I have to work Saturday too)

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Gary ended up working 74 hours that week. Dog days of summer!? Where are you? Here boy!...Oh well. Gary's amazing!:)