Saturday, January 16, 2010

BYU Blankets

I made Andrew a quilt when he was a baby. And ever since the other boys discovered that the "ball blanket" was made by Mom for Andrew, they have wanted their own blanket made by me for them. So, this year for Christmas, instead of making pajamas, I made them their very own quilt.I wanted to pick out different fabric that reflected the personality and interests of each boy, but when they saw the BYU fabric, that was all they wanted. All of them. :)

After countless hours and many spools of thread and pokes in my finger and trips to the fabric store, I told Gary, "I could have bought them quilts for cheaper!" And, being the sweet guy he is said, "Yes, you could have. But it wouldn't mean the same to you or them."

I'm probably jamming that pin right into my finger.

On December 23rd, I started "the end" of the quilts. Gary took the boys and they played all day while I frantically tried to finish. (Even though I had worked on them every night for weeks, it still came down to the last day somehow!) I started at 11:00 am and went straight through until 7:00 am on the 24th- Christmas Eve- not a moment too soon, I'd say! :) In that time, I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" (I love you, Jimmy!) six times, "White Christmas" three times (I would have watched it more but Rosemary Clooney is waaaay too annoying), went through about seven spools of thread and about six bobbins.

I got my second wind at 4:00 am and just flew through the end. I was pinning the last corner together on the last quilt when the first kid came down the stairs. I hurried and hid the quilts and sewed them all together that night and they were ready to be folded up by each boy's pile for Christmas morn'.



I put both pictures in because they took turns looking weird. :) And Spencer is doing a crazy wink in this one. Oh well. :) I still need to actually quilt them, but I don't want to do yarn and I just haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. Any suggestions?

Well, I loved making my babies their own quilts. They're not intricate or fancy, but I loved making them because I love my boys. I loved that, even though they were all made from the same fabric, I was able to think about each boy while I made their blanket and try to do my very best so they they would love them too, and they do.

Phew!!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOOOOVE those blankets! They are PERFECT! Good work, and you're crazy, but I love what Gary said, and it's true. They'll love those blankets forever and hopefully your fingers have healed and you've had some sleep since then, so it's all worth it!

Hizzeather said...

You are the bomb mom! I want my own special quilt now! :)

I just wish you would have named Spence Yancy or something so that your quilts could spell ARBY or something cool. :) Right now they spell BARS...I'm going to think bars of music and not a dim lighted place where people go to drink and hook up. :)

Jessi said...

It's better than BRAS. :) I prefer to think ARBS. I like trees. :)