Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Like a Child at Home


As a part of my stake calling, I had the absolutely incredible experience of planning the music for Stake Conference. And though this calling is new to me, I'm so grateful I had the experiences I had growing up being in choirs and learning so much about music from my Dad. I was able to conduct a Stake Relief Society Choir for the Sunday morning session of conference. It will always be one of my most treasured experiences. We had practiced every week for about 6 weeks and everyone worked so hard to make it so beautiful. I'm so proud of my girls!

The two songs we sang were "O My Father" and "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need", complete with harp, flute, and clarinet. I received so much help and training and support over the last two months, in person and over the phone, from my Dad and my two of my talented, musical sisters. I could not have done it without them.

One of the best conversations I had with my Dad was not about how to conduct a cut-off or how to pronounce words properly, but how to teach the doctrines of the music. It is important to breathe together to have tall vowels, but it is essential to have a testimony of the words you are singing. I thought I would write the words here for you to read and get an idea of how incredible this experience was. The spirit could be felt in every word the choir sang and I know it is because they have a testimony of these things. They returned their music to me and I have been looking through it, noticing their notes. All of them had breath marks and what consonants need emphasis, but they also had underlined words that meant some thing to them, or the word, personal. That just warmed my heart. We talked a lot about the words and had many special experiences that I won't share here, but suffice it to say, we were all touched and edified. I have debated over posting the words because they are so sacred to me, but I realized that everyone needs to know these truths, especially now, so here they are:

"O My Father"
O my Father, thou that dwellest in the high and glorious place
When shall I regain thy presence, and again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation, did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood, was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose, thou hast placed me here on earth,
And withheld the recollection of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something, Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered from a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father, thru thy Spirit from on high,
But until the key of knowledge was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence, when I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you in your royal courts on high?
Then at length when I've completed all you sent forth to do.
With your mutual approbation, let me come and dwell with you.

Eliza R. Snow
Arranged by Larry R. Beebe

"My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"
My shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is his name;
In pastures fresh he makes me feed, beside the living stream.
He brings my wand'ring spirit back, when I forsake his ways,
And leads me for his mercy's sake, in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, thy presence is my stay;
One word of thy supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in spite of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may thy house be mine abode and all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest while others go and come,
No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home.

Based on Psalm 23, paraphrased by Isaac Watts (1674-1740)
Arranged by Mack Wilberg

3 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

It was a beautiful experience, in every way. You did a wonderful job! Thank you thank you!

da Silva Family said...

It was such a wonderful opportunity for me to participate in the choir! The music was so beautiful and strengthened my testimony. I loved getting to know you--I think you are one of the most Christ-like people I know! You have such a sweet spirit!

Hizzeather said...

ha ha! She called you a sweet spirit. :)

I have such fond memories of us in ward Choir...ok, not really, but I do attribute your family to teaching me how to sing. It's not your fault I'm not very good.

I wish I could have been there!