Tuesday, September 29, 2009

And that's how we have humans

Spencer and I were rockin' out to the Toddler Tunes on one of our new channels while all the other kiddies were at school. It's just a channel that has music on it while it shows little pictures of blocks and baby toys and things. Anyway, we were dancing and washing the windows to "A Spoonful of Sugar" when the next song entitled "Two Kinds of Seagulls" came on. I had never heard of it, but I have a new favorite song.

I thought the song would talk about different varieties of seagulls and other animals, but I was pleasantly surprised. Here is an example of some of the verses. (I chose penguins because that's when I really started listening, as you will soon see why.)

"There are two kinds of penguins
A girl one and a boy one
There are two kinds of penguins
And that's how we have penguins.

"There are to kinds of birds
A girl one and a boy one
There are two kinds of birds
And that's how we have birds"

And then something like:
"All creatures come in pairs
All creatures come in pairs
All creatures come in pairs
And that's how we have animals."

I LOVE this song, even though there are about five words in it and was probably written in 3 1/2 minutes. In case some of you haven't heard, there is a gay penguin book (that's what I call it) that kids K-5 are being forced to read (the kids can't opt out) in Alameda School District (I think) in California. This song was written in 1990, so it wasn't some political, or even ethical, statement in response to what's happening now in regard to gay marriage and crap. It was just teaching kids about nature and how, basically, there are two kinds of each animal and that's how we have animals. It was so simple and true and beautiful, even with the banjo and the cowboy-guy voice. I didn't hear the whole song because I had to get the phone, but I will end with the verse I hope it ended with, and probably did.

There are two kinds of humans
A girl one and a boy one
There are two kinds of humans
And that's how we have humans.

5 comments:

Matt and Mandy said...

hahaha, I love it! I want that song on my ipod! :)

"Miss Kris" said...

That's right! And that's HOW we have humans! Don't mess with my sistaz jams, suckaz! Y'all get a beat down if y'all try. Holla!

Brownie Bites said...

That is awesome. So fundamental and so true. Yet, so elusive for some.

ps, my word verification was 'hothip'.

Hizzeather said...

Wow, look at you getting all political! :) ha ha

It really is a powerful song, if you think about it (assuming there is a verse about humans). I agree with Karin's comment...why is it so hard to understand pure truth?

Stacy said...

I'm dying to know the tune so I can sing along.

You are so awesome Jessi!