Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Got Construction Paper?

I recently found one of my long-lost BYU kindred spirits through the strange, weird, great, and strange world of Facebook. I found out she lives about 15 minutes north of us and she came over one day and we had a great time. She (her name is Heidi by the way) is one of those people who remind me of the kind of Mom I always wanted to be. She is so cute and creative and selfless and amazing. After seeing her, I decided to do things I have always wanted to do, but thought I was too tired or the kids wouldn't really notice. I even took it upon myself to steal some of her ideas. So, in case you think I'm creative or something, I'm really just a thief. :)
The night before Valentine's Day, I cut up and taped up these hearts in the boys' room. Ryan's bed slides out of the bigger blue one, so he got his own bunch of hearts under the window. They woke up to a "heart attack." It was so fun and they kept them up for weeks. Ben was especially attached to his hearts and wouldn't let anyone take down "Mommy's hearts." (There used to be a lot more hearts, but I wouldn't let myself take the pictures until the beds were made. Sorry, I'm a weirdo!)


For St. Patrick's Day, a "Leopardchaun" (which are as real to these guys as Santa and the Easter Bunny) left the boys fake gold coins in this pot of gold. Ben came downstairs first and kept saying, "Oh! Der's a cwoud! Der's a cwoud!" I made sure they knew it was "I" who made the rainbow because I really don't want them truly believing in Leprechauns because I think they're a little creepy and mean, and I don't want them expecting money every St. Patrick's Day from some strange little man, and I don't really know what St. Patrick's Day is anyway. But, it was fun and I like green, so we celebrated this year. :) A fun little tidbit- when Ryan and Andrew play "Leprechaun" Andrew runs around like he's a little guy and Ryan runs on all fours like he's a Leopard and growls. I don't think he's quite sure what a leprechaun is and I hope he never finds out because it's hilarious!

And even though there was no construction paper involved with dinner, this is what we had on St. Patrick's Day. I just threw in everything green, including and especially green homemade biscuits, of course. And since Gary wasn't going to be home for dinner and I was tired, chicken nuggets completed this very nutritious meal.

Any day can be a holiday if you have construction paper and tape!! (Or if it's on the calendar too, I guess.)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I LOVE IT ALL! I'm going to steal all those ideas, too! Hey, did you eat YOUR peas on St. P Day or just make the boys eat theirs??? HUH?????

Another idea that a family Josh knew on his mission would do that I plan on doing when my kids are old enough to care....For April Fool's Day, their mom would pack miniature food in their school lunch (like those little candy soda bottles, and any other tiny, silly food, can't think of any right now). But then she'd take their real lunch to school later. I guess they had their clothes picked out the night before because she would also sew all the sleeves, necks and pant-legs closed (AFTER they found them outside hanging in the tree).

Jenn said...

Oh yeah, oh yeah, and for dinner on April Fool's, their mom would make things that were not what they seemed...You could be totally creative, but the only thing I can remember Josh telling me was for dessert, they had a scoop of mashed potatoes that looked like ice cream with some kind of weird non-ice cream topping...you get the idea.

Jessi said...

Wow!! That's amazing!! Yeah, I'll steal those, too. :) And yes, I DID eat ALL my peas, probably for the first time in my life. It was actually a good batch or something. Weird. I did think of you while I ate them, too. That was a proud, proud moment for me.