The Sound of Music will always be one of my very favorite movies. I even turned it on yesterday, after all the inauguration business was over and I needed a little peace that only a lark that is learning to pray can bring. As much as I love it, I must admit, there is one scene that will always puzzle me, and that is the wedding scene. Oh sure, the dress is lovely, the audience substantial, the groom dashing (in his retired captain of the imperial navy sort of way). But the song! Maria is marching down the isle, not to the wedding march or even an instrumental version of their love song from the gazebo, but "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?"
Who would want to march down the isle to a song that is just one complaint after another, listing all your faults and flighty ways? Calling you a clown, a demon? And the one my brother always laughed at, a girl? Of all the mean, conniving. . .I can just picture the nuns back there, behind their iron gate, giving each other righteous high fives and doing little holy dances of joy and reverently shouting, "We got rid of her! Hallelujah!" while Maria is innocently marching to this song that points out every wrong thing she's ever done and everyone in the crowd is looking at each other and thinking, "Gee, I guess Georg should have married the Baroness. At least she would have given him a yacht on the Mediterranean and a little one for his bathtub, and all he's getting from Maria is. . . a problem."
Pretty funny. Those nuns just don't know how to appreciate a free spirit when they see one. So, I guess their answer to the question, "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" is - marry her off and let her be someone else's problem.
Nice, nuns. Real nice.
9 comments:
Awesome post! I love it! The ONLY part I have a HUGE problem with was including me in your Georg crush group.
And now that I think about it, I was only aware of the one kisser-of-the-TV having a crush on Georg. WHO ELSE DID? YOU?!?!? I never knew this. You're disgusting.
No, NOT me! You KNOW who! Don't worry, I'm going to fix the crush part. I knew you would take Issue with that. :)
That's hilarious. What a fun post.
LOL! This post is perfect. This scene has plagued me all my days as well. But I guess we can be thankful that the jerk nuns found a way to solve their problem.
I just read this again with Josh and we laughed and laughed. You never cease to amaze with your writing abilities and humor.
McKenna and I need to have a fun little sleepover of our own and enjoy this movie all over again. It's the only way I'll get to see it since it's on Paul Do-Not-Ever-See List.
I agree about the song. That is just plain cruel and odd. Why not be like everybody else and glide down the aisle to a little Pachelbel Canon (which I can't help but love, even it if it is overplayed). I've never heard the words to Canon in D, though, so it could very well be calling people flibbertigibbets too. I just can't say.
Oh, by the way, were you, Raegan, and Breezy having cookies and milk? Was it very charming? :)
It's very sweet, very charming. We have CCooKKies and milKK. I'm gonna puke.
Post a Comment