Friday, February 26, 2010

"See you at choir practice!"

(That quote is from Housesitter with Steve Martin, by the way. Kinda dumb, but I love that part.)

I had the tremendous opportunity of going to the University Singers practice today at BYU. Who are the University Singers, you ask? Well, they're only the best ever! Does that answer your question? I just had to write about it while I'm still floating after listening to absolutely beautiful music sung by incredible voices.

My sister is in town from CO and she was able to watch my kids while I sneaked away for a couple hours for some much needed musical and spiritual nourishment. Let me tell you something- it is MUCH easier to park on campus when you're NOT a student! I pulled into the Visitor Parking by the Museum of Art, expecting to beg and plead for permission to be let in. I swear they have a student detector because they ALWAYS knew when I was a student trying to sneak in and get a good parking spot. But today, I pulled up to the booth, "beggy" face set, and he just handed me a parking thing. I actually said, "Oh!" as I stared at it in disbelief and then very grown-uply followed it with a carefree "Thank you." Then I drove away quickly before he changed his mind.

I think the mini van was a dead give-away that I was no longer a student. I guess it has its perks. See, Gary?!

So, I parked and ran, with my kids' drawing notepad in hand, to the HFAC- which is named after my great uncle. . . or something. I slowed my pace once I got to the building and switched to a cool, nonchalant walk to the Madsen recital hall because I didn't want to look like a nerdy, stressed-out Freshman who was late for class. Of course, my crows' feet were probably enough to prove I was an old lady and I could have continued running.

I made it in time and sat down in the same room I had had choir practice in while I was at BYU. (Of course, it wasn't University Singers, but that's just between you and me.)

So, to make a short story long, I sat there, completely in awe of these people, and of course, Dr, Staheli who is able to make beautiful sounds come out of them. He would just point to his chin and the sound of the whole choir would change. Or he would say, "Tone!" and what was already beautiful became indescribable. I wrote a whole page of notes just observing and was just blown away.
I'm the Stake Music Chairman and we're getting ready for Stake Conference. It's my second time conducting and I am so in love with it! We have men in our choir this time so it's a little intimidating, but it's going well. (Oh, and if you're reading this, I better see you at choir on Sunday. . . . Yes, you!)

So, practice was over and I got to talk to Brother Staheli for the first time in years and he's so sweet. He told me to come again, so if anyone wants to come with me, I'm all over it!

I guess this post is mostly for me, and means a lot to me so you're probably bored, and I'm ok with that. :) This is something I love. Music plays such a powerful role in my testimony and has been there through every stage of developing that testimony. And, with my calling being what it is, I feel the need to share my love of music, and my testimony of good music, even more. And I know better than anyone that I am not the most "qualified" person to be in my calling. I had six months of piano lessons when I was seven, and I quit because I didn't like anyone telling me what to play, (Brat! I know!) But, if "whom the Lord calls, He qualifies" is true, I'm going to do my best to make that as easy as possible for Him. I guess I should have kept going to my lessons, huh?

"We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer."
President J. Reuben Clark, Jr.

Doesn't that just make you want to come to choir!?

3 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

I'm so glad you were able to do that. Being in a good choir is definitely a spiritual experience. I think you're doing great with the Stake choir. I wouldn't miss it.

"Miss Kris" said...

Yes it does!!!

Gary said...

I know, there are more SUV's on campus than cars but I still want a truck. :) You are a wonderful choir director angel.